Thursday, February 10, 2011

Howlin Wolf.

So some of you may know who Howlin' Wolf is, some of you may not, but either way I don't think anyone could deny that he is a creepy and scary dude. He has, at least in my opinion, the most intense voice in the blues. He growls and snarls and every time he says something it sounds like he might come kill me afterwards. But, even though I start to tremble every time I put some on, his sound is unique and his blues passionate. While researching Wolf I actually found this exact thing:

"musician and critic Cub Koda declared, "no one could match Howlin' Wolf for the singular ability to rock the house down to the foundation while simultaneously scaring its patrons out of its wits.""

I'm not lying man, the dude was scary. But in addition Sam Phillips once remarked, "When I heard Howlin' Wolf, I said, 'This is for me. This is where the soul of man never dies."  For your first listen, or your next, I will post this youtube video for you, I love his explanation of the blues, and I love his style; shirt, tie, glasses, rock the house down. I just wish there were some artists out there today with this type of character.




I have one album from Wolf and Muddy Waters, and some other day I'll post a little something from it, then give you the album to download. But for now, just get into his sound, and see what the craze is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment