Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hot Koko

So I have a lot of music I want to share, but just not the time to get an album up here everyday. I do, however, want to get back to women in blues. While some women have sweet mellow voices like Irma Thomas, or even unmatched guitar prowess, today's woman is the roughest, gruffest voice on the block. She makes Howlin' Wolf sound like this guy:






Koko Taylor, known in some circles as "Queen of the Blues," is a Memphis born lady who made her way to Chicago and hit it big when none other than Willie Dixon heard her singing in a club. Her first, and biggest, hit was the song I have for you today, "Wang Dang Doodle." It is actually a Dixon tune, and was performed by Howlin' Wolf five years before Taylor ever performed it. Now I'm not sure what a Wang Dang is, or who wants a doodle of one, but this is an awesome song, and KoKo Taylor is just plain rockin'.




Enjoy:



No comments:

Post a Comment