Monday, March 21, 2011

Whew Spring Break Jazz Fest

Hello all. Sorry it has been so long since I've posted, I was off on Spring Break and spent most of my time relaxing and doing nothing. One thing I did do however, was listen to a whole lot of Jazz. I really love jazz, it is so free and ranges from so mellow to incredibly intense. Today I am featuring a nice jazz tune by an artist I am just starting to really fall in love with.



Charles Mingus was a bass player, but more importantly, he was a band leader. In much the same style as Duke Ellington, Mingus' real instrument was his orchestra. He was a master of arrangements and always knew what parts to give to what players. Additionally, his music is so technical and advanced that it was once believed it would be to hard to play without the direction of Mingus himself. But, it turns out a ton of people wanted to play it, and many even compete in a Hugh School Charles Mingus competition.

Smokin' a stoagie.


This song is called "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" and is quite cool. It is about 6 minutes long, so if you plan to listen to the whole thing, I recommend giving yourself ample time to do so. Without further adieu:




Ken Burns Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment