Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Big Boy Crudup

So just recently I entertained a request from a certain lady I know to find and post some Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup. So today I have a great little album from a very authentic delta bluesman.




Born in 1905, Crudup is probably best known for writing songs that were later redone by Elvis Presley; "That's all right mama" and "My Baby Left Me." Many of his records come from the 1940s when he was performing with Sonny Boy Williamson II and Elmore James. Unfortunately, like many Black musicians, Crudup received almost no royalties and actually had to work extra, labor intensive, jobs. He was so unhappy about his almost non-existent royalties he often referred to his more famous follower Elvis as Elvin Preston.

In the 1960s he actually quit making music and started bootlegging and a farmer. Either way, his songs are great. I wanted to find some with him and Sonny Boy, but I may have to look a little harder. Here is "Rock Me Mama" by Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup:



Mean Ol' Frisco

No comments:

Post a Comment