Thursday, April 28, 2011

Piano Blues

For some reason, when I started getting into blues, I found that Piano blues was what really got me grooving. I found this guy and thought to myself, "Yep, I've found it, this is the blues." And oddly enough, the title of the album I have to share attests just that!

Otis Spann was a Mississippi native, who became known as a solo performer for a unique piano style. But, before forming his own band in 1968, he was a member of Muddy Waters' band for 16 years. He also played with a huge number of greats during his solo career: B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Big Mama Thorton, etc.

Unfortunately Spann died at a very young age of 40 from Liver Cancer, but not before recording a number of great albums, and today I have the first of his solo recordings, "Otis Spann is the Blues." This album is great, this guy really was a fantastic blues artist. I have the song "Worried Life Blues" from the album for you to check out, and if you dig it the album for download down below.





Otis Spann Is The Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment