Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Favorite Things

So I recently checked out the Petit Library just off Westcott St. here in Syracuse. It's actually not to bad, sure I have access to the HUGE SU Bird Library, but I kind of dig smaller public libraries.

I got a couple books (one of which was Anthem by Ayn Rand, and was actually really good), and three new albums. I want to post each of these albums, and the first is "My Favorite Things: Coltrane at Newport" by John Coltrane. This album finds Coltrane at the Newport Jazz fest, playing in a quartet. I started listening to the album and thought, my god, that piano is stellar. Low and Behold...it's McCoy Tyner, one of my favorite Jazz pianists! Tyner was actually at the festival with his own trio, and they managed to schedule Coltrane, Tyner, Jim Garrison on bass, and ROY HAYNES on drums!

For those of you who don't know who Haynes is, here is a video of him being awesome at 85 years old:



But, this post isn't about Haynes, it's about Coltrane. So here is a sample from the album; a clip from his very famous "My Favorite Things". The song is 17 minutes long, so I couldn't upload the whole thing, but if you'd like to check it out get the album below!





My Favorite Things: Coltrane at Newport

No comments:

Post a Comment