Monday, October 10, 2011

Blue and Sentimental

So recently I found an incredible album. I was perusing some Jazz reviews, and I stumbled on an article about great Texas Jazz Sax players. After a few listens I was lucky enough to encounter "Cobb's Blues" by Arnett Cobb.

Cobb lived in the early to mid 20th century, and was born and raised in Houston, Texas. He played with a number of smaller bands, but eventually found himself in Lionel Hampton's band (where he replaced Illinois Jacquet, another Texas Tenor!)

His sound is astounding. He has a throaty full sound, but often comes across sweetly and smoothly so that few should be put off by his style. The album I'm featuring today has a number of Jazz standards, inluding "Georgia on my Mind," and "Willow Weep For Me." The latter is a favorite of mine, whether it is Art Tatum, Clifford Brown, or Cobb, I love the feel and classic swing of "Willow Weep For Me."



This is off the album Blue and Sentimental by Arnett Cobb and the Red Garland Trio, but Cobb's playing is certainly the shining star.

Cobb with Lionel Hampton(left)

Here is the Album (Blue and Sentimental)

1 comment: